Lostwithiel Town Council
The ancient bridge over the Fowey River at Lostwithiel

Lostwithiel Flood Plan

The centre of Lostwithiel has flooded countless times since the creation of the town in the early part of the 12th century. The earliest known written document reported flooding on 18th December 1839; amazingly there are water colour sketches made on site on the day showing the full extent of the flood. Further written articles show major floods during the 19th century occurring in 1866 and 1894. Many floods happened in the 20th century principally the years 1903, 1928, 1979 and 1999. Although a substantial flood bund was constructed along the river bank in 1960, it hasnít decreased the risk and Lostwithiel flooded again in 2010 and 2012.

The Environment Agency website provides flood warnings.


Download (pdf):

Find us on Facebook

Call us on 01208 872323

Lostwithiel Town Council, Taprell House, North Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall PL22 0BL