The Guildhall was built in 1740 by Richard Edgcumbe and this event is recorded on the front of the building with his coat of arms and the inscription: "Richard Edgcumbe Esq. erected this building Anno 1740."
The building is of Cornish granite and the main internal feature is the
linenfold panelling which is believed to have come from an older building
on this or a nearby site. The ground floor, formerly a Corn Market, is now
occupied by the Town Museum.
The Town Council meets once a month in the Guildhall which is also used for the annual Mayor Choosing Ceremony. A copy of the Town Charter (1189) is displayed in the Guildhall.
Hire - The Guildhall is available for hire, for a small charge, to any organisation wishing to use it for meetings. Details from the Town Clerk.
Town Council - Council Members
Town Council - Meetings
Town Council - Committees
Town Council - Minutes and Agendas
Town Council - Useful Information
Heritage - Medieval Capital
Heritage - The Guildhall
Heritage - Edgcumbe House
Heritage - Taprell House
Main Site (full graphics)
Site developed for Lostwithiel Town Council by WesternWeb Ltd
9th May 2013