Edgcumbe House was built in 1740 as the town house of the Edgcumbe family of Mount Edgcumbe near Plymouth.
The building is of Cornish granite and is well proportioned. The two upper floors are let as offices and the ground floor contains the Town Clerk's office and the Mayor's Parlour.
The Mayor's Parlour has a beautiful plaster ceiling and panelled walls with a marble fireplace and contains ceremonial and other items of interest. The table is Jacobean and the large cupboard dates back to 1667. The chest with three locks is thought to have been the Town Treasury with all three keyholders required to be present when it was opened. The chest inscribed 'Borough of Lostwithiel' contains the standard weights and measures dated 1741 which were used by the Town Council to police as the local Weights and Measures Authority.
The ceremonial robes are also displayed in the Mayor's Parlour. The Mayor's robes were made in 1887 and presented by Mr William Pease. The Deputy Mayor's robes were made in 1938 and presented by Mr Wilfred Jeffery. The Town Clerk's robe and wig are more modern.
Town Council - Council Members
Town Council - Meetings
Town Council - Committees
Town Council - Minutes and Agendas
Town Council - Useful Information
Heritage - Medieval Capital
Heritage - The Guildhall
Heritage - Edgcumbe House
Heritage - Taprell House
Main Site (full graphics)
Site developed for Lostwithiel Town Council by WesternWeb Ltd
9th May 2013